Believe it or not, the fabulous Panini dates all the way back to a 16th-century Italian cookbook. Panini sandwiches became quite the trend in Milan,Italy bars, called paninoteche, in the 1970s and 1980s. Swank & trendy U.S. restaurants began selling Panini, with distinctive & upscale variations appearing in various cities all over. I myslef, like to think of the Panini as a much more decadent and “ matured” traditional grilled cheese. As there is almost always cheese in Paninis, they are usually loaded with many additional ingredients and flavors- making them, well, pretty much fool-proof amazing. Great for any time of day and occasion, Paninis are a no-fail choice every time! Enjoy, CHEERS!
Arugula & Spinach Artichoke Panini Recipe
- 4 slices Sour Dough Bread
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 4 tablespoons Mascarpone Cheese
- 3 handfuls handfuls fresh baby Spinach( chopped & remove any large stems )
- 1 handful fresh Arugula ( chopped& remove any large stems )
- 6 oz marinated Artichoke Hearts ( chopped )
- 2 med cloves fresh Garlic ( minced )
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Butter to coat bread
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- For the Spinach & Artichoke Filling: In a skillet over low / medium heat, add Olive Oil & heat.Add Garlic, let cook until fragrant and slightly gold in color.Add Artichokes, let cook 1- 2 minutes.Add Spinach and Arugula and let cook until mostly wilted.Add couple pinches Salt & PepperStir in Mascarpone Cheese. Remove from heat. For Panini: Butter one side of each slice of Bread.In a nonstick grill pan or Panini grill, add 2 slices of buttered Bread ( butter side against pan ) Top each slice with 2 pieces of Provolone Cheese.Spoon Spinach & Artichoke mixture on top of each slice &top with second piece of bread ( buttered side on the outside )Note: If you are using a grill pan, use a bacon-press or aluminum foil- covered brick to press down on Panini. Until bottom side has reached arich golden crust. Using a flipper tong, gently turn Panini over to other side to repeat. Serve with kettle cooked potato chips or homemade french fries. ENJOY!!Buon Appetito e Mangia Bene!
Leave a Reply