I have always loved the story behind this incredible sauce!
Legend has it, that back in the 20th century in Naples, Italy… prostitutes would cook up this spicy, sultry sauce ( as the ingredients were always so readily available ), and lure in their gentleman customers with the irresistible aromas. Customers are known to have also been privileged with enjoying a plate of this dish before getting “down to business”, for some extra energy ( as needed ). This sauce is simple to make and unbelievably full of amazing flavors. Let’s just say this dish is as SPICY as the story behind it! Enjoy!!
Puttanesca Sauce Recipe
- 1 28 oz can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Capers ( rinsed )
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives ( pitted ) ( crushed )
- 4 LG Cloves Garlic ( minced )
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh Parsley ( roughly chopped )- plus extra for garnish
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 LB Spaghetti
- Prepare your Ingredients: In a bowl, empty can of Tomatoes. Add only a small pinch of Salt – but not too much. ( Capers and Anchovies are already very salty )Add a generous pinch of Black Pepper or as much as you like!Using a potato masher or your hands, crush Tomatoes inside bowl -to create a sauce.Set aside. Capers: Rinse Capers under cold water to remove some of their saltiness. Set side. Kalamata Olives: Crushed with hands / fingers. Set aside. For Sauce: In a skillet over low heat, add Olive oil.Stir in Anchovy Paste and cook on low until paste has melted into the oil.Add Garlic, stir and let saute’ until fragrant.Add Capers, stir and let saute’ about 2-3 minutesUsing your hands, crush Kalamata Olives and add to the skillet.Let saute’ another 2-3 minutes.Add 1 Tbsp fresh ParsleyAdd Crushed Tomatoes and Crushed Red pepper flakes ( to taste ) to skillet, stir and let simmer on low about 10 -12 minutes, stirring often.Remove Spaghetti noodles from pot using a hand-held strainer &add straight into the skillet with the sauce. Toss with tongs until well combined and let cook about another 2-3 minutes. Sauce will thicken upon standing.Garnish with fresh Parsley and more Crushed Red Pepper &serve.