Did you know Artichokes are actually really large flower buds? These beautiful ancient vegetables are full of symbolism and represent peace, hope and prosperity. Making their big “Debut” in Europe back in the 1500’s, Artichokes have since become quite common and desirable for many all over the world. Great for dips, Stuffing, Salads and Paninis, Artichokes will always add that “something that was missing“ to your dish! These Stuffed Artichokes are full of flavor and are absolutely perfect to set out for an appetizer! Enjoy!!
Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
- 2 cups Bread Crumbs ( Plain)
- 1 tablespoon Oregano ( dried )
- 1 tablespoon Thyme ( dried )
- 2 tablespoon fresh Basil ( finely chopped )
- 2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese ( grated )- plus extraf or garnish
- 1/2 Lemon – plus extra wedges for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 LG Artichokes ( the heavier & tighter the better )
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven at 350 Degrees F For Stuffing: Combine Bread Crumbs, Garlic powder, all Herbs & Parmesan Cheese ( be sure to keep a little extra fresh Parsley & Parmesan for garnish at the end ), Crushed Red Pepper, about 1 Tsp Salt, and 1 Tsp Black Pepper.Mix all ingredients until well combined.Drizzle Olive Oil into the Bread Crumb Mix and stir. Only use enough Oil until you achieve a wet, but still “crumbly “ paste-like consistency. Set aside. For Artichokes: Rinse Artichokes and pat dry.Cut Stem off of each Artichoke as well as removing a little bit of the bottom of each Artichoke – so that they are able to stand upright in pan.Carefully Slice off the tops of each Artichoke.Rub Center ( meat ) of each Artichoke with the face/juice of the cut open Lemon. ( this prevents browning )Using cooking shears, snip off the pointy tips of the leaves.Discarding any loose leaves that are already falling off.Using your hands, gently pry open the Artichoke and it’s leaves.This allows room for stuffing. Pack the Stuffing in center and between each leaf of the Artichoke.Once Artichokes are stuffed, place them both in a 9 x 13 baking dish.Pour Chicken Stock, into pan so that Artichokes are standing in the Stock. Cover baking dish with Aluminum Foil and seal edges tight to prevent steam from escaping. Bake for 60-80 minutes. Remove. Drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Garnish with more Parmesan Cheese &Fresh Parsley. Serve with fresh Lemon Wedges Enjoy!!! Buon Appetito e Mangia Bene!